Rlogin without password

Frank Summers summers at stsci.edu
Mon Dec 30 08:54:05 PST 2002

On Saturday 28 December 2002 04:42 am, Rakesh Gupta wrote:
> I am having a linux cluster running redhat 7.3 . I want to rlogin into the
> clients without  password. I changed /etc/hosts.equiv , .rhosts and
> /etc/pam.d/rlogin but still it asks for the password. Can anyone tell me
> how to go about it ?

I have the same setup. To echo the ssh suggestion in a different way,
always remember that rsh tools were developed for use on a trusted
network. They should only be used on trusted networks, and you
must firewall off any other network connections.

Here's what my notes say I did:

1) Add rsh and rlogin to the file /etc/securetty. Just add two lines to
the end of the file with "rsh" on one and "rlogin" on the other.

2) Edit the xinetd settings for rlogin and rsh. These are the files
/etc/xinetd.d/rlogin and /etc/xinetd.d/rsh. Change the "disable"
line from "yes" to "no".

3) Add the cluster machines to /etc/hosts.equiv

3A) Make sure that TCP Wrappers doesn't block the cluster machines.
In /etc/hosts.allow, they should be listed with a line like
"ALL: 192.168.1. localhost",  where 192.168.1.XXX is the private
network for the cluster. One should also make sure that /etc/hosts.deny
has only one line reading "ALL:ALL".

3B) Make sure your firewall won't block these connections from your
cluster network. Check /etc/sysconfig/ipchains or /etc/sysconfig/iptables.

4) If you want root rlogin capability (insert usual danger warnings,
etc), then you need an rhosts file for root ( /root/.rhosts ) that
lists all the cluster machines.

5) You probably need to restart xinetd with "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart"

6) My notes don't list any changes to /etc/pam.d/rsh or/etc/pam.d/rlogin,
but I might have missed writing something down. However, RPM reports
that these files are the same as installed.

7) Make changes to all cluster machines (obvious, but easy to forget).

If I missed soemthing, let me know.

Frank