RSH scaling problems...

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Dec 17 16:05:54 PST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 11:37:09AM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
>
> > I wish there was some kind of ssh option to not encrypt content for ssh and
> > especially scp.
>
> There is a switch, but you have to recompile the demon, and last I
> looked, you can't exert fine-grain control such as "only allow
> unencrypted data from systems inside the cluster".

I thought openssh removed the "none" cipher totally, so you can't even turn it
on with a compile time switch.  And when you could use it with ssh1, it wasn't
really ideal, as passwords are then sent plaintext.

I looked into this to do tape backups to a remote tape drive.  In order to
keep the tape drive streaming, it needs data at a certain minimum rate.  ssh
with encryption wasn't fast enough, but rsh was.  It was less trouble to
temporarily enable rsh than to get ssh working without encryption.