low-latency high-bandwidth OS bypass user-level messaging for commodity(linux) clusters with commodity NICs(<$200), HELP! (GAMMA/EMP/M-VIA/etc.)

Michael T. Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Mon Dec 16 16:37:22 PST 2002

Hi Jon,

I began investigating the same issue a few months ago as Cu gigabit cards
and switches became widely available.  The situation is much the same now as
it was then.  No one is actively developing bypass support for the new
networking hardware.  The state of MVIA in particular has been in limbo for
at least 18 months.  GAMMA is interesting and seems to be more actively
developed, but when I last checked there was no support for SMP.  The MVIA
web site was promising a second-generation of the core code which intended
to make driver development more simple.  To my knowledge, that version 2 has
not seen the light of day.

I think that many people would love to take advantage of newer cheap gigabit
hardware with OS bypass, but as of yet, no one is really taking the lead in
pulling the drivers together.  In my mind, this is the next big hurdle for
the Beowulf community to overcome if we intend to really use commodity
hardware for network interconnects.

Mike Prinkey
Aeolus Research, Inc.