Noise abatement for a rack

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 4 13:01:43 PST 2002

Hie thee to a library or bookstore and get a book on audio recording studio
design (there are a bunch aimed at amateur/garage type operations).  They
have a lot of very useful and practical information on noise reduction,
which is truly an art.

Two things to worry about:
conducted through a solid object - panels, racks, etc - and then reradiated
via a panel, etc. - mass and soft help (lead, sand, etc. -- rigid is bad)
conducted through the air - through ducts, etc. - torturous path (length
attenuates), acoustically dead (soft, massy) and nonreflective.

You need to know a bit about the spectral characteristics of your noise..
LF is a different problem with different solutions than HF.  Maybe a
microphone on a laptop and one of the freeware spectrogram progams?  You're
not looking for quantitative analysis to the nearest 0.001 dB here... just
a general guide to where the problem is...