Performance Benchmarks

Rocky McGaugh rocky at
Fri Aug 30 12:01:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Tom A Krewson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good objective benchmark for Linux clusters running
> MPI? I have tried Linpack but failed to get the results I need. It seems
> to need tuning for each cluster which is makes it hard to be objective
> with reguards to its results. I also have used llcbench and have gotten
> some nifty graphs but nothing to compare what I have in my cluster
> objectively to other clusters.
> How can I tell how well I am building the cluster if I don't have
> comparative benchmarks to go by?
> Any help is appreciated.

HPL, as someone else mentioned is nice. Total flops are nice, but
Rmax/Rpeak is something i always look at, to see what percentage of the
potential we're actually getting...

Pallas PMB -
To be honest, i've never really used this as a 'benchmark', but include it
in tests to validate a clusters operation.

Gromacs -
Not something i use, but does provide some numbers for comparison.

Your best test, is going to be the application that you plan to use on the

Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at
rmcgaugh at
1-785-841-9513 x3110
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7\!A+F-O;0H`");'