undergrad senior project idea, help

Karen Keadle-Calvert calvert at scyld.com
Wed Aug 28 10:21:11 PDT 2002

Assuming you're talking about high school ... I think a cluster at
school would mostly be used as a learning tool - it could be applied to
several subjects.  I think it has obvious applications in computer
science (eg. high performance computing, clustering concepts, parallel
programming (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich), Linux operating
system, etc.)  A biology class could use it to learn about genomics.
There's a sequence analysis tool called BLAST from NIH that you can get
free (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST).   It seems like there ought to be
a good application for math as well.  A math teacher might be able to
provide some good ideas - some problem that requires a lot of
computation.  There's a program called linpack that is used to analyze
and solve linear equations.  It's frequently used as a computing
benchmark tool (http://www.netlib.org/benchmark/hpl/).

The good thing is that the cluster can be shared among all of the
classes.  Personally, I think the "cool" factor is justification enough ;-)

Karen Calvert