Serial Console

Gary Stiehr gary at umsl.edu
Wed Aug 28 12:24:57 PDT 2002

Hi,
	The only thing that I can see that is missing from all of the replies
that might affect you with Redhat 7.3 is the "boot message."  In
lilo.conf, there is a line "message=/boot/message" that causes a
graphical kernel selector to appear (instead of the "boot:" prompt).  It
says "Press Ctrl-x for text mode".  I was unable to get to "text mode"
(the "boot:" prompt) by pressing Ctrl-x from my serial console (nor
could I see the graphical selector) and, as a result, could not select
the kernel or specify kernel parameters.  Although I don't plan on
selecting different kernels or specifying kernel parameters very often,
I might want to do this to get to single-user mode, for example.  If you
run into this, you can get rid of the graphical kernel selector by
commenting out the "message=/boot/message" line in /etc/lilo.conf (and
rerunning lilo of course).

--
Gary Stiehr
gary at umsl.edu