Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #988 - 6 msgs

Don Morton morton at cs.umt.edu
Fri Aug 16 09:13:14 PDT 2002

beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:

> From: Jeff Moyer <phro at alum.wpi.edu>
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 23:05:07 -0400
> To: William Thies <samsarazeal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
> Subject: Re: What's the possible reasons for building SSH connection very slowly?
>
> ==> Regarding What's the possible reasons for building SSH connection very slowly?; William Thies <samsarazeal at yahoo.com> adds:
>
> [snip]
> samsarazeal> What's the possible reason for such a slow SSH?
>
> Sounds like it's taking a while to timeout on DNS lookups.  Do you have all
> of your hosts in dns or in a hosts file?

Try ssh -4 <remote-host>

I don't understand the full details, but I think that by default ssh tries to
use
IP6 addresses, which apparently takes a long time (I don't know why).  Using the
-4 flag tells ssh to use IP4 addresses, and you get the expected response time.

Same thing with scp.....
--
Don Morton                   http://MRoCCS.cs.umt.edu/~morton/
Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana