Windows HPC

Daniel Pfenniger daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch
Tue Aug 6 09:09:41 PDT 2002

Paul Redfern wrote:

>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: 7BIT

In this advertisement I don't see clearly the value added by Windows
software on such hardware when one wants just to do HPC.
I only see added costs, which goes against the beowulf philosophy
to care about the performance/cost ratio.

On the other hand I must understand the generous support of the CTC
by Microsoft as a way to compensate its poor presence in the Top 500
list ("see Windows can even do cluster computing").

Anyway it would be interesting if someone from Cornell with experience
with this strange combination of Windows and HPC hardware would argue
with factual information why it is so wonderful.

	Dan