Redhat bootdisk and Intel E1000?

Bill Rankin wrankin at duke.edu
Thu Aug 1 06:51:28 PDT 2002

Good morning,

I have a bunch of nodes that I am trying to kickstart install and I am
having some slight difficulties.

The nodes are Tyan-2466s w/ Intel E1000 GigE cards and a cheap AGP video
card.

The machines come up just fine with a RedHat 7.3 boot disk image
(bootnet.img) using the on-board NIC.  The problem is that I want to
configure them to boot and install over the E1000 so I can just
kickstart them at any time without swapping around network cables (the
E1000 will be the only live interface in the final configuration).

I ripped apart the bootnet image and added the e1000.o file to the
module directory (compiled and tested on a working machine), but the
node would not recognize it on boot.

Does anyone have experience with attempting this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

-bill

--
dr. bill rankin .................................... research scientist
wrankin at ee.duke.edu .......................... center for computational