List Attachmants (was: Hyperthreading in P4)

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Apr 30 08:45:27 PDT 2002

>     Herbert> Would you PLEEEEEASE not send huge binary attachments to
>     Herbert> the list! Put them on the web, send them on demand,

I apologize for allowing this very large message to get through.

Some subscribers were lucky, and didn't see the message.  Sending a
2.4MB message to several thousand subscribers saturated our link.  Once
I figured out what was happening, I shut down the mailer and manually
deleted the large messages from the queue.  (That's why the mailer was
down overnight.)

The Klez virus is part of the problem here.  There have been so many
Klez messages that I assumed the initial complaints were mistaken about
the message source.

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Raju Mathur wrote:

> This is a Mailman-administered list, and Mailman has pretty decent
> options to filter out messages containing all sorts of unnecessary
> content.  For instance, on the Linux-India-* lists which I manage we
> quarantine all messages with any MIME content (including HTML) for
> administrator action.

We are running Mailman 2.0.6.
I don't see a moderation option for MIME, although I might have missed it.

> The new version of Mailman (which was still Beta, last I checked) had
> command-line tools for doing regular list maintenance.  Quite an
> improvement over that sucky web interface (IMNSHO).  Vive l'keyboard!

OOoooh... I'm updating when it comes out of beta.  It's very time
consuming to use the web interface to delete the same spam from two
dozen lists.  I'm hoping the new version has "discard" patterns as well
as the current "hold for moderation" pattens.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993