cooling

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Apr 24 06:16:17 PDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Jon Mitchiner wrote:

> The other consideration to have is some kind of monitoring/alerting system
> for the room.  A client has a dedicated cooling equipment for a beowulf
> cluster for 52 machines.  Recently the A/C broke one morning and they did
> not find out till the afternoon when someone walked into the small network
> room and found the room was in excess of 100 degrees.
>
> I dont want to think about what could have happened if it happened on a
> friday evening and nobody found about it until Monday. :)

A very good idea is a thermal kill switch on the master power panels,
mentioned in my previous reply.  If room temperature hits a preset FOR
ANY REASON, all nodes go down, period.

Strategically, one would still want to monitor node and room temperature
and install alarms and automated node shutdown scripts as previously
mentioned in many discussions, but set THOSE alarms and shutdowns to go
off at (say) 25C and 30C and set the room kill switch at (say) 35C.
That way if cooling fails, first you get mail/pages/human alarms (at
25C, assuming room temperature is set to 20C and ordinarily stays there
+/- 2C), then at 30C (or when CPU temps pass a preset alarm that goes
off when ambient room temperature gets about there) nodes start shutting
themselves down, and only if the humans and shutdowns fail to control
the temperature or get the AC running again and the temperature keeps
climbing does the room kill go off.

This protects the systems against ANY POSSIBILITY that they will operate
for an extended time at a "dangerous" temperature.

Conservative people, or people with evidence that the properly
functioning room has a very stable temperature profile, could reduce the
alarm margins even further -- 35C is already quite a bit hotter than one
wants to let the ambient air reach.  30C would be better, but it doesn't
leave much room for less intrusive alarms and scripts to take effect.

   rgb