cooling

Scott Delinger scott.delinger at ualberta.ca
Tue Apr 23 19:56:53 PDT 2002

>The other consideration to have is some kind of monitoring/alerting system
>for the room.  A client has a dedicated cooling equipment for a beowulf
>cluster for 52 machines.  Recently the A/C broke one morning and they did
>not find out till the afternoon when someone walked into the small network
>room and found the room was in excess of 100 degrees.
>
>I dont want to think about what could have happened if it happened on a
>friday evening and nobody found about it until Monday. :)

Ah, and on that: http://www.netbotz.com/ (rackmountable and wall- or
camera-mountable Temp, RH, air speed, door contact, camera, and
external sensors: all web/SNMP addressable w/email alerts available).
I've got four WallBotz 310 units, in server rooms, wiring closets,
and cluster rooms. And the cluster room has a thermostat monitored
24x7 by our Physical Plant. Braces and belt, when that much hardware
is on the line.
--

Scott L. Delinger, Ph.D.		IT Administrator
Department of Chemistry
scott.delinger at ualberta.ca