Maximum room temperature (Tyan S246x)

LT V. H. Walke walke at usna.edu
Mon Apr 22 15:10:21 PDT 2002

Temperature monitoring for the dual processor Tyan board is mostly
working in lm_sensors 2.6.3 (March 22, 2002).  See the tickets
referenced on the lm_sensors web page:   http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

Unfortunately, you still have to go into bios on every boot to
initialize the monitoring chips, but everything seems to work.
Fortunately it seems progress is being made - a solution was posted on
April 11th (again, see the web page).

Good luck,
Vann

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 17:58, Steven Timm wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 alvin at Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:
>

> > hi ya manel
> >
> > if your systems have "health monitoring"...
> > check your bios to see what it thinks is your
> > current system temp and cpu temp...
> >

> Am I missing something here?  The BIOS sensors can only
> tell you what the temperature is when the machine is
> effectively idle.  A good CPU load can be good for an
> increase of 7-10 degrees C.
>

> > you're cpu reliability/performance goes down
> > by 1/2  for every 10 degree C
> > 	- ie  if it would have lasted 5 more years...
> > 	( starting temp is "normal/nominal  temp" as provided
> > 	( by intel or amd that they provide a cpu warranty for 5 years
> > 	- if temp went up another 10deg C... its now 2.5 yrs
> > 	- it temp went up 20 degree.... its now 1.25yrs...
> > 	- or some silly guidelines like that..
> >
> > to test if the ambient temperature is too high...
> > 	- add a regular fan and blow air on it...
> >
> > 	- if the cpu temp drops significantly...
> > 	than its too hot in the room
> >
> > max cpu temp...
> > 	http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
> > 	http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm
> >
> > -- add lm_sensors to your "distro" to read the cpu temp
>
> Does anyone have success yet with making
> lm_sensors work on the Tyan 246x series of dual AMD motherboards?
>
> >    and if it gets too high... shutdown the server
> >    or at least dont do heavy computations on it
> > 	- add more fans ... and better air flow...
> >
> > c ya
> > alvin
> > http://www.Linux-1U.net/CPU .. more specs ...
> >

> > On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Manel Soria wrote:
> >
> > > I'm wondering what is the maximum reasonable ambient
> > > temperature to have in a cluster room. In our room
> > > with 72 nodes we have about 29-30 oC (84-86 oF).
> > > Is this too high ? Can this be the cause of hardware
> > > failures ?

  Vann H. Walke                        Office: Chauvenet 341
  Computer Science Dept.               Ph:  410-293-6811
  572 Holloway Road, Stop 9F           Fax: 410-293-2686
  United States Naval Academy          email: walke at usna.edu
  Annapolis, MD 21402-5002             http://www.cs.usna.edu/~walke