Dual Xeon Clusters

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Wed Apr 17 06:48:05 PDT 2002

> Hi list members,
>
> I am building a dual Xeon 4-node cluster; My understanding of
> hyperthreading leaves me to conclusion that it depends largely on the
> code to benefit from it. Otherwise in many cases the performance can
> become worse than before using a hyperthreaded Xeon processors. My
> question is ; Are there any benchmarks available for the benchmarking of
> the Xeon processors in hyperthreaded mode ? Will the normal benchmarks
> that we use ..work on these systems and would it give a fair glance at
> the power of the Xeon .? If not what other way can i find the
> performance of Xeon processors in a clustered env.
>
> I am using 2.2 Ghz Xeon processors on an E7500 chipset.
>
> Thanks in advance to all
>
> Abhishek

The only way we found to do it in hyperthreading mode under Linux was
just to keep on starting two instances of the process until we got one
started on either 0 or 1 and the other on 2 or 3.   It would be
interesting
to see a comparison of the SPEC rate benchmarks between the same
machine with hyperthreading disabled and two processors, which
is what we finally did, and hyperthreading enabled.

Steve Timm