very high bandwidth, low latency manner?

Iwao Makino rickey-co at
Thu Apr 11 20:54:59 PDT 2002

At 5:29 +0200 12.04.2002, Steffen Persvold wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Craig Tierney wrote:
>>  I talked to a guy at SC2002 from Quadrics and he said
>>  that list pricing on a Quadrics network was about $3500
>>  per node when you are in the 100s of nodes and up.
>>  The price includes the cards, cables, switches,
>>  etc.  This doesn't include any sort of discount that you
>>  might get.  Myrinet is about $2000 for an equivelent
>>  network at list price.   Dolphin/SCI falls around $2245 list
>>  per node (if the system is > 144 nodes and you have to get
>>  the 3d card).
>This is list prices for the cards only, right ? What about the switches
>needed. AFAIK Quadrics and Myrinet both need switches, SCI don't (which
>makes the total system cost a bit lower doesn't it ?).

As said on above,  QsNet is per node price including all.
Do does Myrinet, so SCI/Dolphin and Myrinet is about equal.

SCI has good idea of not using switches, but on the other hand, it is
little more complex to connect.

Best regards,

Iwao Makino
Hard Data Ltd. Tokyo branch
mailto:iwao at

--> Now Shipping 1U Dual Athlon DDR <-
--> Ask me about the new Alpha DDR UP1500 Systems  <-