(no subject)

Eric Miller emiller at techskills.com
Thu Apr 11 14:01:24 PDT 2002

>> <Snip>
>> Someone suggested
>> SETI many months ago, which would be perfect, but SETI does not offer an
MPI
>> enabled program.
>
>What possible good would an MPI-enabled SETI at Home do? The whole point of
>SETI at Home is that it's already parallelized.

My definition of parrellelized is MPI or PVM enabled code, not _distributed_
applications like SETI.  When demonstrating to students the capabilities of
Linux, its not nearly as convincing to just start N number of instances on N
nodes.  The magic stuff that we newbie cluster builders seek is not found in
that.  It is found in having a bona-fide cluster with master and slave
nodes, and a single instance of a program being managed and executed by a
group of machines.  Am I alone in this opinion?

>If you've got N nodes, submit N copies of SETI at home to your queuing system,
>and your cluster will get an N times speedup over a single node. I don't
see
>how you can hope to do better than that.

I was aware of this possibility, but do not have the skills to implement it.
Please see my post from weeks ago, March 11th.  It was SETI that I was
referring to:

--For non-parallel applications, is it possible to run individual instances
on
--diskless nodes?  For example, I want to execute a non-MPI program "A" that
--is located in the /bin directory of my master node, but I want to run one
--instance of "A" on each of my diskless nodes.

--What is the syntax that equates to:

--#NP=1 "A" on node0 only
--#NP=1 "A" on node1 only
--#....