(no subject)

Erik Paulson epaulson at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 11 12:32:02 PDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:08:16AM -0400, Eric Miller wrote:

> After you get the cluster up and running, that's where the help seems to
> drift off.  Most of the people in this group are upper-level users who know
> how to get these MPI enabled programs to run on thier clusters.  If you are
> like me, these topics are a little foreign.  If you are looking for
> something to run continuously, like a display, they say the MandelBrot
> renderer has a loop function, but I can't get it to work.  Someone suggested
> SETI many months ago, which would be perfect, but SETI does not offer an MPI
> enabled program.

What possible good would an MPI-enabled SETI at Home do? The whole point of
SETI at Home is that it's already parallelized.

If you've got N nodes, submit N copies of SETI at home to your queuing system,
and your cluster will get an N times speedup over a single node. I don't see
how you can hope to do better than that.

-Erik