LSI PCI-X Fibre Channel Host Adapters?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Tue Sep 25 08:30:37 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:07:07AM -0400, Brian wrote:

>   Also, back on the subject of Myrinet, (.. and I know a few of you Myri
> guys read this list!..), is there anything remotely like a product roadmap
> available,

Well, I'm not sure what's non disclosure and what isn't, but I'll
ask. The main benefit of PCIX is that it will allow Myricom to again
double their bandwidth, and it will allow significantly lower
latencies for tiny packets.

>   On a mostly unrelated note, I just saw something on a new (upcoming)
> motherboard from Gigabyte, the GA-6MXDR, allowing for 2 x Tualatin CPUs,
> and 8 GB of DDR RAM, and equipped with 2 PCI-X 64-bit 100/133Mhz slots.
> I prefer the Athlons, but hey, it still sounds like a pretty well loaded
> boad.  (www.ocworkbench.com)

It's not clear that the Pentium III "Tulatin" cpus are ever going to
catch up to the Pentium 4 or AMD offerings. Unfortunately the Pentium
III currently has the best PCI bus implementations. However, if you
examine your applications, I suspect that you'll find that you aren't
maxing out communications, and that a mildly faster CPU is better than
a mildly faster PCI bus.

BTW there's a comparison of PCI bus speeds measured by Myrinet cards
at:

http://conservativecomputer.com/myrinet/

greg