CPU Choices

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Mon Sep 24 12:41:33 PDT 2001

Thanks for the pointers.  They are very interesting reading.
However, the conclusions are:

1) You need a good compiler to get the most out of your hardware.
2) The only good benchmark is your own code.

I care about Fortran 77 and 90 performance, not raytracers and
modelling packages.  My results show that the Dual Xeon 1.7 Ghz
is 30% faster than the Dual Athlon 1.2 Ghz for the 3 codes I ran when
compiled with the Intel Fortran compiler for Linux.  I have some more to
do, but it seems that for my codes the Xeon processor is best.

Craig