WOL: how does it work?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Fri Sep 7 13:14:49 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 12:20:48PM -0700, Martin Siegert wrote:

> Here is the problem: Each node draws a current of about 1.5A (I measured
> that a few days ago). Since I have about 70 of those, booting all nodes
> at once will draw all of the sudden a current of more than 100A. The
> people who run our machine room don't allow me to do that (probably for
> good reason).

I can't really answer your question, but there's an alternate
solution. You can use a device which delays the booting of some
nodes. For example, the APC MasterSwitch has the ability to let you
power cycle nodes by attaching to a web browser, but another feature
is that it can power up the nodes with a delay after a power failure.
It's a bit expensive for this purpose ($354 for 8 plugs @ 120V, 12A
total), but maybe you can find something cheaper, such as an X10 based
controller.

greg