distributed file systems

Robert Ross rross at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 6 10:51:38 PDT 2001

Jon,

There is no "best method" IMHO.  PVFS is probably your best bet for a
scratch space for applications to store large data sets in, especially for
MPI-IO applications.  It isn't good for home directories; it doesn't
cache, and all the metadata lookups make for very slow accesses in typical
user interaction.

NFS is probably your best bet for home directories, but it isn't good for
large data sets and parallel access both for performance (single I/O node,
limited protocol) and correctness (the cache isn't consistent and is
difficult to disable) reasons.

So I would use PVFS for scratch space.  I would then ask myself if I
really NEED /home on all the nodes.  It's only nine nodes...you can copy
executables out quickly.  If you can stand the inconvenience, performance
will be better if you just run applications off local disks.

Regards,

Rob