PBS x SGE comparison?

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 16:25:56 PDT 2001

I don't run large production clusters myself, but I
can share the experience of other people from the net.

If you want to run large parallel applications, you
many find the Maui scheduler + PBS a very good mix.
Maui is the most advanced scheduler in the world. You
can find out more about Maui from
www.supercluster.org. We are working the Maui-SGE
integration, but it is not done yet (sorry).

On the other hand, SGE performas very well in the
compute farm environment. Sun uses it as the batch
system for its TCF (technical compute farm). If you
want to run a EDA shop, you then should run SGE.

Lastly, I would suggest you to join the mailing list
of PBS and SGE. I am sure other people have other
opinions about SGE and PBS.

www.openpbs.com
gridengine.sunsource.net

 -Ron