Linux Cluster Course?

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at
Tue Oct 16 15:19:45 PDT 2001

There is a free web based training course from Sun for
Grid Engine. Depending on the type of application, you
may find running Grid Engine more suitable for your

I started using Grid Engine a few months ago, and
since Sun had opensourced GridEngine, I've be playing
with the source.

I found that Grid Engine (SGE) is very useful since:

1. you don't need to modify the kernel.
2. very suitable for serial applications that you need
to run over and over again.
3. when the demand for processing power is several
times more than the system can provide (SGE queues the
job up).
4. totally free, with source code!! Nevertheless,
there are more than 3 companies provide support (24x7)
for it.

I've heard that someone is working on a port of SGE to
the conventional Beowulf.

Anyway, the training page is: