Mark at Mark at
Mon Oct 1 09:21:07 PDT 2001

And nice try too Eric.  :)
Your comments are not necessarily true either, the original idea to having a
cluster, be it beowulf or mosix etc was to be able to produce a "souper"
computer from older equipment or especially non bespoke equipment.
With the march in technology, network and processor speed enhancements it is
true that you can pack more performance into 1U or 2U chassis, but in the
spirit of beowulfing, other companies or institutions want flexibility too,
i.e. desktop by daytime, dev batch cluster by night time.  If you create a
machine room full of bespoke 1U dual and quad machines, are you not creating
the essence of a super computer rather than a "souper" computer?
One of the things my company does is to hire equipment, either desktop, rack
mount etc because dev projects or academia projects have a finite time
length.  Our business plan caters for those not wanting to buy and
having/not having onsite support etc. because they have their own guys.
Don't be manipulated by people saying "But I'm of the opinion people usually
want.....". Keep your minds open guys..... 'cause they don't!  Clients in
the beowulf market don't usually want to be in a sterio typical mold, you'll
find they want to be treated as individuals with bespoke requirements and to
a certain extent they are and do have bespoke requirements....!
Kind regards,
Tel: (01942)722518