Compile farm?

Matt Okeefe okeefe at sistina.com
Tue Nov 20 10:46:57 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 08:58:26AM -0500, Strange, John wrote:
> Well you can use mexec with mosix to get things to work, and it does work
> quite well but it doesn't scale because of some underlying filesystem
> problems we are having.
>
> I've got 25 machines, our backend storage currently is netapp filers, so
> using NFS I have to turn off client side caching.  It basically crushes the
> filer doing constant file handling lookups.  I'm still playing with a netapp
> that we have on spare, maybe I'll have some luck with finding away around
> the problems that we are having.
>
> There is no really good backend filesystem that you can use, maybe GFS but
> it's still relatively new and too bleeding edge for pratical use. (IMHO)

Actually there are a fair number of people using it in production,
in some cases for nearly a year, I can give you references if you like.
None have complained of data corruption due to GFS.

> Plus we don't have the hardware for it fiber channel and we have *NO*
> budget.

The next release of GFS will include an improved shared IP
network block driver, called GNBD.  You can run it over Ethernet
or Myrinet, or whatever network you have.

Matt O'Keefe
Sistina Software, Inc.