[rcferri at us.ibm.com: Problem with va-systemimager]

Brian Elliott Finley brian at valinux.com
Thu May 24 12:56:25 PDT 2001

Jon,

I just had this forwarded to me from the beowulf list.  If I remember
right, you posted this issue to the SystemImager list about a week ago.
Can I presume that your issues didn't go away when you tried
prepareclient with the -e option?

This is an issue that I've not encountered before and I'd like to find
out why it's happening.  I'll certainly be getting a copy of Partition
Magic for myself to test this out, but I'd also like to find out more
about your setup.

o If you *don't* fix the error, does the system operate properly?
o If you "fix the error" with Partition Magic, does the system still
  operate properly?
o Do you have the "error" on your golden client?
o If you install directly from your Linux distribution media, do you
  have the same error?
  o Which distribution and version are you using?
o Does Linux give you any errors in any of it's logs?
o Are your disks ide, scsi?
  o If scsi, what kind of controller?
o Are the disks on each of your systems identical?
o Was there a non-linux operating system on these machines prior to
  autoinstalling them via SystemImager?
o Does the disk geometry reported by Linux match the disk geometry
  reported by Partition Magic?
  Example:

    [bfinley at dragonfly:~]
    $ cat /proc/ide/hda/geometry
    physical     16383/15/63
    logical      1559/240/63

  or with sfdisk:

    [bfinley at dragonfly:~]
    $ sudo sfdisk -g /dev/hda
    /dev/hda: 1559 cylinders, 240 heads, 63 sectors/track

And a couple of quick notes about SystemImager and disk partitioning:
o sfdisk is the utility used
o if you run "prepareclient" without the -explicit-geometry option, then
  your client's disks will be sized based on megabytes instead of
  sectors (MB is the default).  The last partition will be dynamically
  sized to the end of the disk.

Cheers, -Brian

----- Forwarded message from Richard C Ferri <rcferri at us.ibm.com> -----