custom cluster cabinets (was Re: 1U P4 Systems)

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Wed May 30 06:42:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 09:53:05AM -0400, Douglas Eadline wrote:
>
> > I find it interesting that in all the talk of P4 systems
> > there is little discussion about the Intel chips-set
> > for the P4 only supporting 32 PCI.
>
> It certainly has been noted by Myrinet sites; it's a bit of a pain.
> But I suspect the numbers will play out that I'll be doing dual P4
> systems, which don't have that little limitation.

BTW: My understanding is that Intel is now referring to the dual P4
(those CPUS that can be used on dual motherboards) as Xeon.
They are not called P4-Xeon, just Xeon. In terms of price
the are about the same as P4's. They do not have larger caches, but
allow dual CPUs and have the "Netburst" thingie.
(http://www.tomshardware.com/technews/technews-20010521.html)

So it looks more like some kind of Intel marketing thing to move users of
dual systems to to "Xeon" platforms. I suspect a little bait and switch
is coming (i.e. higher priced Xeons once we all have our dual "Xeon"
systems)

It will be interesting to see how the dual Athlon 4 effects this strategy.

Doug

> -- g

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com