Scyld, local access to nodes, and master node as compute node

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Fri May 25 08:50:57 PDT 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Art Edwards wrote:

> When I execute
>
> jarrett/home/edwardsa>mpirun -np 4 pi3 -nolocal
>
> The code runs, but ps -x reveals that it is computing on the head node. I
> really don't want compute jobs executing on the head node and it seems that
> -nolocal has no effect. What are my options?

BProc masquerades your process pids so that you can still see the pids
for all the processes on the slave nodes on the master node.  If you
want to see which node the processes are running on, you can either do
'bpstat -p' which will just tell you all the masqueraded pids and where
they're running, or you can do 'ps -x|bpstat -P'  This will modify the
output of ps so that there's an extra column at the beginning of the
line that shows the node the process is running on. (if the column is
empty, it means the process is running on the master node)

> Art Edwards
>
> P. S. Incidentally, -nolocal doesn't appear on the MPI man page

It should be in 'man mpirun'