1U P4 Systems

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 22 16:16:19 PDT 2001

For the large number of odd shaped holes you'd need (power supply and fan
cutouts, etc.), I suspect that the CNC sheet metal fabricator will be  more
cost effective.  It's not just the drill press you need, you also need the
punches, etc.  About $10K would set you up with the necessary tooling.  Of
course, if you have access to the necessary machines, the actual dies for
the punch are fairly inexpensive.  There would be, of course, the labor
cost, but for those on a low $$ budget, often they have free-ish labor.

I've been this route a number of times, and what's fairly straightforward to
do 1 or 2 times, gets real tedious and timeconsuming when you have to do it
100 times.  It's one thing to spend a day marking and cutting one chassis.
It's another to spend 4 months doing 100.