1U P4 Systems

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Tue May 22 13:15:28 PDT 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 01:01:07PM -0400, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 06:39:42PM -0700, alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:
>
> > most 1U chassis designs and atx motherboards fail miserably on
> > dual power supply issues and hot swapp issues...
> > 	- basically not fixable...
>
> This is the beowulf mailing list. How many beowulf owners have dual
> power supplies? How many are willing to pay extra for hotswap?
>
> The beowulf community is considerably different from your typical 1U
> server buyer.

You are so right. Unfortunately not many manufacturers/distributers
have noticed this. I have been searching for a 1U or 2U case for a beowulf
cluster on the web. This has been a totally frustrating experience:

1) I don't want to spend $200 US ($300 CDN) or more on a case.

2) Many web sites don't even specify which size of a motherboard they
   support (e.g., 12"x9.6" or 12"x13"). They usually just say supports ATX,
   Micro-ATX, and if you are lucky they say extended ATX. Unfortunately,
   different sites mean different sizes when they say "ATX supported".
   ... meaning that many of those web sites are almost content free ...

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6