MPI or PVM enabled jre?

Eray Ozkural (exa) erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr
Mon May 21 15:14:12 PDT 2001

On Monday 21 May 2001 17:36, Joshua T. Klobe wrote:
> As a junior in college trying to devise a useful and interesting senior
> project, I was wondering why it seems that there is no java support for
> MPI or PVM enviroments?  Why has it stopped with c+?  Any thoughts are
> more than welcome.

Speed. Message passing libs are all about HPC. In a paper I read an MPI
implementation for java was shown to be 10-20 times slower than C. Which
means that you can find a Java MPI implementation but would not really
be worth using. There are indeed people who do parallel programming with
Java, but as you can guess that serves only pedagogic purposes (from the
viewpoint of HPC), like Java itself (sorry couldn't resist)

Thanks,