1U P4 Systems

Steve Gaudet sgaudet at angstrommicro.com
Mon May 21 11:27:18 PDT 2001

Hello Michael,

> I have seen a few clusters assembled with 1U AMD Athlon systems.  Has
> anyone seen/built/melted down a 1U P4 system?  Cooling is of course an
> issue, as it is with the AMDs.  Another is the availability of low
> profile power supplies with the extra P4 power connector and sufficient
> wattage rating.

We have a dual AMD based motherboard inhouse and currently going through
testing procedures for heat, power supply and case designs.  Products based on
the 1u dual AMD "should" be available early next month.  However, there are
issues related to the power supply and cooling that will require some time.

In regards to the P4, there are a few case companies that have a single
processor 2U version also due out in June.  Again, issues with power supplies
(availability) and adequate cooling.

Based on the current P4 die won't see the P4 in anything smaller than a 2u.

So some time next month should see both offerings.

Cheers,

Steve Gaudet
<(©¿©)>
Angstrom Microsystems