rdate or xntp

JParker at coinstar.com JParker at coinstar.com
Fri May 11 09:03:40 PDT 2001

G'Day !

I used to do administration on a e-commerce web server.  We used plain old
vanilla NTP, to keep all the servers date/time correct.  If I remeber
correctly my main sever was stratum 3.

Any way the secret is in your /etc/ntp.conf file.  This is very well
documented on the ntp web site and man pages (
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/ ).  I recommend that if you have a
permanent connection to the internet use at least 3 ntp servers in your
config file.  If you are not connected constantly, there are programs
(ntpupdate ?) to get a quick timecheck to update your clocks.  My current
set-up uses a driver pointed to my local servers hardware clock, not
accurate, but all my nodes have a consistent time.

All your nodes should point to your ntp server and not the internet.   A
quick serch on the web will show you where to find clients for NT, if
necessary.

Let me know if you have any specifc questions.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!

Joey Raheb <joeyraheb at usa.net>
Sent by: beowulf-admin at beowulf.org
05/11/01 08:21 AM