fwd: Re: Stream variation

Bill Broadley bill at math.ucdavis.edu
Tue May 1 04:51:05 PDT 2001

I have a pthreads benchmark very similar to stream, it currently only
implements one of the 4 benchmarks, but does so on a variety of arrays
so you can see the effects of the various levels of cache.

I use pthreads to insure that there is a very close sync between the
multiple-threads, I see minimal variations from run to run.

Just email me for source and I'll send it out, I don't want post
it openly yet till I clean it up a bit, and add in the other 3 standard
stream benchmarks (copy, sum, scale, and saxpy or similar).

----- Forwarded message from Greg Lindahl <lindahl at conservativecomputer.com> -----

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 09:37:15AM -0700, Patrick Geoffray wrote:
> Running 2 instances of Stream at the same time on several Netfinity x330
> Dual PIII boxes, I see a variation of performance from one node to another
> one, from 185 MB/s to 260 MB/s per run for TRIAD for example.

Running 2 instances of stream? Well, that depends on the details. You
see, stream takes the best time and uses that to give the answer. So