Power/Airconditioning for clusters

Bill Broadley bill at math.ucdavis.edu
Tue May 1 01:32:19 PDT 2001

Anyone have any total power usage numbers for a beowulf?

I can offer one data point:
	Dual P3-866
	Serverworks LE motherboard
	3 7200 RPM scsi disks on the onboard U160 channel in a software raid5.
	512 MB ram (2 256 MB ecc dimms)
	100 mbit (no fancy interconnect )
	Dual/redundant 300 watt power supply
	2u case

1.2 amps at idle
1.56 amps with 2 cpu loads
1.61 amps with 2 cpu loads + large tar (lots of file activity).

As a related note on a Best Fortress 1425 at idle it lasted 1 hour
and 24 minutes.

Unfortunately the resolution of these numbers is suspicious since
they were taken with a $50 radio shack DVM and ignores various
consideration (i.e. power factor) and I forgot to measure the
voltage (which was in the 108-128 ish range from what I can
tell).

I'm looking for actual/typical loads (useful for certain kinds
of planning), not peak loads or anything related to whats printed
on the powersupply (which I can look up myself).

Anyone have numbers for the newer athlon nodes with/without DDR?

How about a myrinet switch (of whatever number of slots/interfaces)?

--
Bill Broadley
Mathematics/Institute of Theoretical Dyanmics