How to use a beowulf class materials?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 30 06:47:26 PST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Bill Broadley wrote:

> I've been tasked to teach a class in using a beowulf.  I've parallelized a
> few serial fortan codes to use MPI, so I have the technical side covered,
> at least for the 1st quarter.
>
> Anyone have suggestions for textbooks?  Know of existing class
> outlines available on the web?  Any other pointers?

It isn't written as a textbook and isn't finished, but

http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/beowulf_online_book/

("Engineering a Beowulf-Style Compute Cluster") might have some useful
stuff.  Contributions are always welcome as well.

Other links on the Brahma site are also likely to be useful.  Of course
you know about "How to Build a Beowulf Cluster" book by Sterling,
Becker, .... not exactly a textbook either but still "the" beowulf
resource.

> I'm considering: Parallel Programming With MPI by Peter Pacheco to
> cover the MPI part, but probably need an additional book on parallel
> algorithms and programming.

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/dbpp/

(can also be purchased, I believe).  Excellent resource.