How to use a beowulf class materials?

Yoon Jae Ho yoon at
Thu Mar 29 21:51:56 PST 2001

> I've been tasked to teach a class in using a beowulf.  I've parallelized a
> few serial fortan codes to use MPI, so I have the technical side covered,
> at least for the 1st quarter.

If I have a chance to be a teacher like you, I want to be a coordinator not teach item like MPI code or ... ...
I mean in the internet there are many discussion group(mailing list) or there archive.
It is the first step to learn. and the e-mail for the very important contact point when your student don't know or ask something to the authors.

> Anyone have suggestions for textbooks?  Know of existing class
> outlines available on the web?  Any other pointers?

first of all,

Will you show your student the 's discussion archive  & the linking site from various University or Org?
and ?
and other mailing list, FAQ, howto or Usenet site related in mpi ..

> I'm considering: Parallel Programming With MPI by Peter Pacheco to
> cover the MPI part, but probably need an additional book on parallel
> algorithms and programming.
> I suspect it's of interest to the list, so please follow up to the list.

I read "Parallel Programming" by Wilkinson & Allen  Prentice Hall
ISDN 0-13-671710-1
and the Program Source like mpich or LAM itself is starting point to teach, I think.
and the Presentation & FAQ or manual by author is another point to start.

Thank you very much

Yoon Jae Ho
POSCO Research Institute
yoon at
jhyoon at  Korea Beowulf Supercomputer
Imagination is more important than knowledge.  A. Einstein