SMP support with the scyld package

Carpenter, Dean Dean.Carpenter at
Mon Mar 26 14:06:08 PST 2001

Ah ha.  OK, I found that on the CD, and installed it

	rpm -i kernel-smp-2.2.17-33.beo.i686.rpm

No problem, and I see the new kernel in /boot and the modules in

So I change /boot/vmlinuz to point to the new kernel, and then create the
netboot image ...

	beoboot -d -2 -n -k /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-33.beosmp -m

That chews for a little while, and the debug output looks OK.  I noticed
that it recreated the /var/beowulf/boot.img file though ...  Why ?

In any case, I reboot on of the dual nodes with the *existing* boot floppy
(created last week from beosetup gui) and it appears to come up OK, but not
all the way.  The log shows that it's still trying to use the UP modules in

Dang.  I thought the phase 1 kernel on the floppy was a generic one (from
/boot/vmlinuz.beoboot, which is just a symlink to
vmlinuz-2.2.17-33.beobeoboot :) just to get to the master node to boot the
"real" kernel - the smp one just installed.  Hmmm, OK, recreate the floppy
from the gui.  I don't think it should be different, but just in case.

This is worse.  It dies while loading vmlinuz, asking for another boot disk.

Ah ha (again).  I just noticed module-info in /boot, pointing to the UP
modules-info-2.2.17-33.beo file rather than the smp one.  I just changed
that and rebooted a couple of the dual nodes.  We'll see.

Nope.  Systems booted from the old floppy still try to use the UP modules in

So where exactly do all the kernels fit in ?

/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-33.beobeoboot	aka vmlinuz.beoboot
/var/beowulf/boot.img			What's the connection between these
for the floppy ?

Sorry for being thick here ...

Dean Carpenter
Principal Architect