computationally hard or not (algorithm question)

Jörg Kaduk joerg at jasper.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 23 13:45:38 PST 2001

Hi all,
I am not an expert on anything either, but I would follow Adam in
saying Frank should look at geometric algorithms.
I also think, depending on the problem it should be possible to avoid
to evaluate all point pair distances. I think, there should be
algorithms, which determine hyperspaces from properties of the
original set (convex would be nice). Using these hyperspaces
one should be able to reduce the amount of sorting significantly.
In 2d there are ways to cut the original set using hyperspaces (in this
case lines) and search only in the area determined by the cuts.
Unfortunately I do not know anything more about this, sorry.
Good luck,
Joerg