Auto-responder

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 19 16:25:51 PST 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Sam Lewis wrote:

> My apologies for the "auto-responder hell" that my mail server created in
> the past few days.  My IS department has rectified the problem, so that this
> will not happen again.  To be on the safe side, I've unsubscribed for the
> foreseeable future.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you unsubscribe -- just convert to
e.g. digest mode and be careful about the use of "vacation".  With
mailman, you can also literally turn the list on and off like a spigot.
That way you can remain subscribed all the time, but turn off the list
before you leave and turn it on again when you get back.  You can catch
up at your leisure by browsing the time-ordered list archives for the
time you were gone -- you needn't miss anything if you don't want to.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu