Dual Athlon

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 13 17:23:14 PST 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, David Vos wrote:

> I've had combatibility problems between OpenSSH and ssh.com's
> implementation.  I had two linux boxen that could telnet back and forth,
> but could not ssh.  I put ssh.com's on both and the problem went away.

I've experienced similar things in the past, but ssh -v indicates:

debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug: no match: OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_2.3.0p1

which suggests that they are using OpenSSH also, albeit a slightly
earlier revision.  The rest of the verbose handshaking proceeds
perfectly up to password entry:

debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug: next auth method to try is publickey
debug: next auth method to try is password
rgb at dual's password:
debug: authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug: next auth method to try is password
Permission denied, please try again.
rgb at dual's password:
rgb at lucifer|T:113>

(where I've tried typing my password and the password for the other
account they tried to roll for me maybe fifty times by now -- it is
impossible that I'm mistyping).  I'm pretty well stuck at this point
until they unstick me.  I'd get exactly the same "Permission denied"
message if the login fails because my account doesn't really exist and
I'm warped into NOUSER or if there really is a Failed password or if the
account exists but has e.g. a bad shell or bad /etc/passwd file entry.

I can debug this sort of thing in five minutes on my own system, but I'm
at their mercy on theirs.  So far today, the guy I wrote to suggest a
few simple tests (like him trying to login and/or ssh to my account with
the same password they gave me) hasn't responded at all.  I'll give them
until tomorrow and then I'll try escalating a bit.

   rgb