8 DIMM Slot PIII/Athlon Motherboard ?

Wayne Whitney whitney at math.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 9 10:30:16 PST 2001

Hi All,

I'm looking for a PIII/Athlon motherboard that has 8 DIMM slots and
handles 32x8 (high-density) 512MB DIMMs.  Does anyone know of one?  On the
PIII side, dual SMP is preferable, but single PIII would be OK.

My goal is to add a 4GB main RAM machine to my little cluster on the
cheap.  8 $160 32x8 512MB DIMMs cost $1280, while 4 $650 16x16 1GB DIMMs
cost $2600.

I believe the Serverworks HE chipset can handle 8 DIMM slots, as it does
2-way interleaving, so it can do 4 DIMM slots on each channel.  However,
the motherboards I've seen with this chipset typically have just 4 DIMM
slots.  Moreover, I don't know if this chipset handles 32x8 512MB DIMMs.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wayne