DBases in very large RAMDisks

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Mar 9 08:47:24 PST 2001

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Sergiusz Jarczyk wrote:

> This topic was discussed on many lists several times, and always ideas was
> crashed by one simple question - what happen when server crashes, or
> simply power goes down ? You can syncing data from memory with data on

Simple servers, especially written in high-level scripted languages with
gc (Python or Scheme) don't crash so easily.

If power goes down and no UPS is available, the server goes offline.
It will boot up fast enough (LinuxBIOS can boot up in ~10 s, and use
fsckless file systems to fill the RAMdisks with).

Nothing can happen to the database itself, as in my case the database is
entirely static.