high physical density cluster design -structural...

JParker at coinstar.com JParker at coinstar.com
Tue Mar 6 13:44:00 PST 2001

G'Day !

Cost of aluminum at a retail stores adds up fast .... and welding is tricky as
you need an inert atmosphere.  If you use mechanical fastners, you need to
machine holes (punch, drill press, etc.).  OTOH, we have made some very nice
cabinets with riveted aluminum and angle extrusions ....

surplus steel (3/4" box is ideal) can be very cheap and you used to be able to
get a High School shop class to do the welding for free ... They might have the
stuff need for sheetmetal work also.

Do make sure your finished set-up is properly grounded.  We used to have a ship
board electrician named "3 finger Harry" ...

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more important
than that !!!

                    "Joseph E.
                    Rose, Jr."             To:     "'Jim Lux'" <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov>, "'Velocet'" <mathboy at velocet.ca>,
                    <jerosejr at cajun        "'Beowulf \(E-mail\)'" <beowulf at beowulf.org>
                    bro.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     RE: high physical density cluster design -structural...
                    beowulf-admin at b
                    eowulf.org

                    03/06/01 12:58
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to jerosejr

At the Home Depot near us, you can get a 1 1/2" x 96" 90d angle aluminum for
11.00.  then I used a piece of 1" x 3/16" aluminum bar for center support.