Power-managment of slave nodes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Tue Mar 6 11:11:50 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:39:42AM -0800, Brian Marsden wrote:

>  Before I spend more time delving deeper into these problems, has anyone
> ever attempted to try to do all of this? If so, what are the perils and
> pitfalls? Is this a completely crazy idea?

I haven't done it, but I know that one pitfall is that PBS doesn't
like down nodes. You need to have a daemon mark them "offline" when
they're going to be off.

Another way to power a node down is using an external power switch,
some of which talk to ethernet. That's more expensive than wake-on-lan
these days.

-- g