high physical density cluster design - power/heat/rf questions

szii at sziisoft.com szii at sziisoft.com
Mon Mar 5 23:29:19 PST 2001

We were pondering the exact same questions ourselves about a month
ago and while our project is on hold, here's what we came up with...

Mounting:  Plexiglass/plastic was our choice as well.  Strong, cheap,
                   and can be metal-reinforced if needed.

We were going to orient the boards on their sides, stacked 2 deep.  At
a height of 3" per board, you can get about 5 comfortably (6 if you try)
into a stock 19" rack.  They can also slide out this way.  Theoretically
you can get 10-12 boards in 5-6U (not counting powersupplies or hard drives)
and depending on board orientation. We were looking at ABIT VP6 boards.
They're cheap, they're DUAL CPU boards, and they're FC-PGA so they're thin.
20-24 CPUs in 5-6U.  *drool*  If AMD ever gets around to their dual boards,
those will rock as well.

For powersupplies and HA, we were going to use "lab" power supplies
and run a diode array to keep them from fighting too much.
Instead of x-smaller supplies, you can use 4-5 larger supplies and run them
into a common harness to supply power.  You'll need 3.3v, 5v, 12v supplies,
but it beats running 24 serparate supplies (IMHO) and if one dies, you don't
lose the board, you just take a drop in supply until you replace it.

For heat dissapation, we're in a CoLo facility.  Since getting to/from the
individual video/network/mouse/keyboard/etc stuff is very rare (hopefully)
once it's up, we were going to put a pair of box-fans (wind tunnel style)
in front and behind the box.  =)  In a CoLo, noise is not an issue.
Depending
on exact design, you might even get away with dropping the fans off of the
individual boards and letting the windtunnel do that part, but that's got
problems if the tunnel dies and affects every processor in the box.

I'm not an EE guy, so the power-supply issue is being handled by someone
else.  I'll field whatever questions I can, and pass on what I cannot.

If you even wander down an isle and see a semi-transparent blue piece
of plexiglass with a bunch of surfboards on it, you'll know what
it is - the Surfmetro "Box O' Boards."

Does anyone have a better way to do it?  Always room for improvement...

-Mike