Typical hardware

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Mon Mar 5 09:33:15 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:53:47AM -0500, Carpenter, Dean wrote:

> We, like most out there I'm sure, are constrained, by money and by space.
> We need to get lots of cpus in as small a space as possible.  Lots of 1U
> VA-Linux or SGI boxes would be very cool, but would drain the coffers way
> too quickly.

Before you rush out to build your own 1U box, you might want to check
out vendors other than VA and SGI. Racksaver, Rackable, I'm sure there
are others. Even if you can build it cheaper than the rest, you might
also want to consider the risk: what do you do when all your cpus die
due to overheating?

-- g