Questions and Sanity Check

Dan Yocum yocum at
Thu Mar 1 06:46:11 PST 2001

Daniel Ridge wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Keith Underwood wrote:
> > I would use larger hard drives.  The incremental cost from 10GB to 30GB
> > should be pretty small and you may one day appreciate that space if you
> > use something like PVFS.  I would also consider a gigabit uplink to the
> > head node if you are going to use Scyld.  It drastically improved our
> > cluster booting time to have a faster link to the head.
> >
> >                               Keith

Since I haven't built/booted a Scyld cluster yet, and have only seen Don
talk about it at Fermi, please excuse my potentially naive comments.

> For people who are spending a lot of time booting their Scyld slave nodes
> -- I would suggest trimming the library list.
> This is the list of shared libraries which the nodes cache for improved
> runtime migration performance. These libraries are transferred over to
> the nodes at node boot time.

Hm.  Wouldn't it be better (i.e., more efficient) to cache these libs on
a small, dedicated partition on the worker node (provided you have a
disk available, of course) and simply check that they're up-to-date each
time you boot and only update them when they change, say, via rsync?

Dan Yocum, Sr. Linux Consultant
Linuxcare, Inc.  630.697.8066 tel
yocum at,
Linuxcare. Putting open source to work.