partitioning HD for use of swap & for booting

Beowulf beowulf at cecs.csulb.edu
Wed Jun 27 19:25:21 PDT 2001

We are trying the scyld beowulf software. I have successfully been able to
boot from a floppy but now I would like to boot from the beoboot partition
on the harddrive.  We have one master and 4 slaves all with new  10Gb
drives.  I have gone through the steps as instructed but believe I am
missing something perhaps remedial to linux as I am not a unix
person. Here's what I did in order:
>> beofdisk -q
>> beofdisk -d
>> beofdisk -w

Then I modified my fstab to look like this, commenting out the
ramdisk and uncommenting the dev/hda lines. (what do the double digits at
the end of each line mean?)

# 40MB RAM disk by default.
#$RAMDISK       /               ext2    fs_size=40960   0 0

# This is the default setup from beofdisk, once you setup your disks.
/dev/hda1       beoboot         ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2       swap            swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3       /               ext2    defaults        1 1

# These should always be added
none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

# NFS (for example and default friendliness)
$MASTER:/home   /home           nfs     defaults        0 0

So now I did
>> beoboot-install -a /dev/hda
and it reports back all is dandy but when I reboot the nodes,
>> bpctl -S all -s reboot
I get the following in my /var/log/beowulf/node.X

[root at brutesquad /root]# more /var/log/beowulf/node.0
node_up: Setting system clock.
node_up: TODO set interface netmask.
node_up: Configuring loopback interface.
setup_fs: Configuring node filesystems...
setup_fs: Using /etc/beowulf/fstab
setup_fs: Checking /dev/hda1 (type=ext2)...
e2fsck 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether
/dev/
hda1 is mounted.
/dev/hda1: clean, 16/2000 files, 1103/8001 blocks
setup_fs: Mounting /dev/hda1 on
/rootfs/beoboot... (type=ext2; options=defaults)
mount: mount point /rootfs/beoboot does not exist
Failed to mount /dev/hda1 on beoboot.
[root at brutesquad /root]#

What am I missing?  Mobo bios is set to boot c: drive first.

Joe Nellis
beowulf at cecs.csulb.edu